Friday, October 2, 2009

"Peace, Be Still"

Just finished responding to all the many people who were praying for us and had left messages on facebook. As I have typed, I have watched the winds increase from 4 mph to 20 mph. I have no idea how strong the winds will eventually get. I guess now that the REAL threat has passed, everyone will go on with life, have a fiesta, and we'll receive no further information on storm conditions! (Welcome to Guam!!) I have cut and pasted below what was issued at 8:00 a.m. this morning from Guam Homeland Security:

At 8:00 a.m. (ChST) Governor Felix P. Camacho returned Guam to Condition of Readiness 4 (COR 4). Based on the latest information, weather officials no longer expect Typhoon Melor (20W) to be a threat for Guam.

The Tropical Storm Warning for Guam has been cancelled.

The Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and Joint Information Center (JIC) and the island’s 12 designated shelters will begin to scale down operations. The EOC, JIC and all shelters are expected to close by 12:00 p.m. today.


Going through this has reminded me of the verse in Mark 4:41 where the disciples asked, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey Him!" I give thanks and praise God that I KNOW who he is. He is the Lord Almighty who controls the wind and waves. I grieve for the thousands who are not asking the question, "Who is this?" Please continue to pray for God's mercy on Saipan (they're about 123 miles from Guam)--the typhoon should be hitting them this evening; and most of all, please pray for those who do not KNOW the one who commands the winds and waves.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/tropical/pacific/

No comments: